- Update Date：
- Source：Higher Education Evaluation and Accreditation Council of Taiwan
The framework of the TMAC Standards for Accreditation of Medical Education Programs Leading to the MD Degree (2013 Version) are itemized as 5 areas (i.e., Institution, Medical Education Program, Medical Students, Faculty and Educational Resources) 19 subareas, 8 items,123 standards with 12 subsidiaries, so there are 135 standards in total. The standards are listed in the numerical order and clearly categorized as main areas, overarching statement, subareas, and items of subareas, standards and subsidiaries, plus the detailed annotation of standards.
According to the Regulations for the Accreditation Process of TMAC, the accreditation standards must be reviewed and revised every 6 years. Therefore, a task force was formed in 2019 to revise the accreditation standards and the format of the self-assessment report. The newly revised standards retain the original five major sections, combine repeated standards, and simplify overly complex standards. The number of standards has been reduced from 135 to 92. In addition, the assessment criteria of each standard (i.e., evaluation elements) and supporting documentation to be submitted by applying institutions have been revised in detail. The feasibility of the newly revised standards and draft of the self-assessment report for site visits was evaluated by the standard revision committee members, then reviewed at the TMAC council meeting at the end of 2019, and the results were presented at the Conference of the Deans of Medical Colleges in Taiwan and then disclosed by TMAC. The new standards came into effect in 2020. In response to the global recognition policy implemented by WFME and ECFMG by 2023, the revised TMAC accreditation standard and the TMAC Self-Study refers to the accreditation standards of United States, and comply the spirit of “Global Standards for Quality Improvement in Basic Medical Education” formulated by WFME, such as: community medicine, cultivate lifelong learning ability, social accountability, etc.
The TMAC Standards for Accreditation of Medical Education Programs Leading to the MD Degree (2020 version) items include as follows for the detailed standards:
- Institution: organization, governing body, leadership for college of medicine (department), administration of medical education
- Curriculum and Assessment of Students: curriculum management, curriculum content, assessment of
- Medical Students: Selection, counseling and student records, learning environment, visiting students and transfer
- Faculty: number/qualifications/functions, personnel
- Educational Resources: Finance, general facilities, clinical teaching facilities, library and information resources